Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Scared and Excited.

My alarm goes off at 4:30am every week day morning. It's too early. And EVERY morning I have to decide whether or not I really am going to get out of bed. It's a decision I make EVERY DAY. And I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least a little bit tired because of it. And yet, almost every morning I make the decision to get up and go to the gym. Most mornings my friend Teal meets me at the gym. And it's at this gym, and with Teal by my side, that my running story begins...

Teal has been running half-marathon's for a little over a year now. She makes them look easy, even though I am sure they are not. But I have watched her suffer and train hard for what she wants. And I have decided that I want the same kind of satisfaction that comes from completing a half-marathon (I am not crazy enough to try a full one...yet). 

A little over a year ago I had foot surgery. It might have been the worst decision I have ever made. But it happened and for the past year I have been dealing with the pain of recovering from the original injury and then the surgery. My foot is finally starting to feel normal (which is different than the normal from 3 years ago, before the original injury) and I have decided that its now or never. So, I did it. I am signed up for the Dallas Rock 'n Roll half marathon on March 25th. I am scared and excited at the same time. And after only 2 weeks of training I have never been more aware of my tired legs as I am now. And I am on WEEK 2. See? That's where scared comes in. 

But I have decided I will make it all 13.1 miles, with my friend Heidi at my side, and we will complete it. One step at a time...

-Cynthia

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited to be training and running the half with you. It's definitely better training with a friend than alone.

    ReplyDelete