Sunday, February 26, 2012

Feeling Rested in Him

Let's just call it how it is, I am behind in life right now. And I am not sure I will ever get ahead.

But 2 months ago I made a commitment to go on the senior high retreat to Bridgeport with the youth at my church. This was a particularly hard commitment to keep. Going this weekend meant I had to make several sacrifices: I knew I wouldn't get good sleep (which is something I crave on the weekend these days). I knew I would have to get up extra early to get in my 8 mile run. I knew I would have to have all homework done before I left and just hope I didn't forget anything. I knew that I wouldn't be able to eat right all weekend. And I knew I would be exhausted when I got back.


And I was right about every one of them. 

But I also knew that this was something I needed. I needed to get away and just be with God and His people in His creation. For 40 hours I went without an agenda or a to-do list. I worshiped, played, laughed, ate, talked, loved and just rested in Him. 

One of my biggest worries for the weekend was my 8 mile run. I talked about how worried I was for weeks ahead of time. But I completely relied on God to get me through all 8 miles of my run. And He did. And even better, when I got back to the cabin we were all staying in the boys formed a tunnel for me to run through. I am not sure there is a better way to finish a run. If I had stayed here, I would have still run 8 miles but I certainly wouldn't have had that kind of finish. God is good. 

If I had stayed here maybe I would have gotten a few more things checked off my to-do list. Maybe I wouldn't be so exhausted. But I also would have missed this...





-Cynthia

1 comment: